Sunday market, 30 July, 10am-8pm, Upper Penang Road
Support Penang crafts and music, bring your friends and family to Little Penang!
LIVE AT LITTLE PENANG!
A whole day of live music entertainment, with Joanne Kam Poh Poh, Syafinaz Selamat, Norleena Salim, Rozz and the Rozzells – profiles below.
ARTS CRAFTS AT LITTLE PENANG!
Traditional Trades Ethnic Crafts
· Beaded shoes
· Nyonya kebaya
· Rattan craft
· Chinese knots
· Sarawak crafts
· Dough figurines animals
Contemporary design crafts
· Glass artist Fuan Wong produces fused glass objects which are promoted by international galleries, including Asia Society in New York
· Artist Rebecca Ducket-Wilkinson has developed a distinctive tropical imagery in her paintings, clothes, crafts and book.
· Conservation expert Tan Yeow Wooi creates Chinese-style lamp boxes and miniature Zen landscapes.
· Jonathan Yun makes exquisite jewellery inspired by natural and coral forms.
· Architects and potters Thim and Jane of Claycraft are known for their earthy ceramics and have won awards for their lifestyle products.
Emerging new crafts
· Beaded jewellery by Pamela Ong
· Hand-made jewellery, featuring silver, Swarovski crystals and beads
· Crafts by Jospehine Yeoh-Khoo
· Patchwork quilts bags
· Painted glass bottles
· Hand-painted T-shirts silkscreening
· Patterned tile works
· Tile works
· Stained glass
· Tropical Spice Garden
· Nim herbal products
· Recycled art
· Caricatures by Rashid
· Calligraphy by Ng Chai Tiam
· Asian Community Service
· St. Nicholas
· Charis Hospice
· Adventist Hospital
· Equator Art Academy
· Chung Ling High School Young Entrepreneurs
· Malay, Indonesia, Arab Jawi Peranakan kuih and chutney
· Eurasian cakes chutney
· Penang Hill chicken pie
Michael Cheah, Teresa Capol, Clara Chan Ben
Children’s Hands-on Activities
· Bring your children! They can take part in hands-on crafts-making organised by The Learning Garden
Launch of Little Penang, 11.30am
by State Executive Councillor for Tourism, YB Teng Chang Yeow
LIVE AT LITTLE PENANG
Little Penang will become a platform for Penang music, with celebrities and emerging performers entertaining you from noon-8pm.
Antonio The Mixx
Lenny Quah (Elvis)
Joanne Kam Poh Poh, diva comedian extraordinaire, holds court in Boom Boom Room Caberet, and acts in Instant Café and KL theatre productions. She is a familiar face in television sitcoms such as Kopi Tiam, Spanar Jaya, and ‘Ah Girl’ and has co-hosted Lonely Planet’s ‘Six Degrees’. Her acid tongue humour and outrageous outfits has made her Malaysia’s leading female stand-up comic.
Rozz sings jazz with the The Jazz Trio at the Bagan in Penang. Devoted to the study of music and theatre, he was trained in the US by renowned vocal coaches and has acted in off-Broadway productions in New York.
Syafinaz Selamat, KL celebrity and judge in Malaysian television’s ‘One in A Million’, is vocal master and soloist with the National Choir of Malaysia, and music lecturer at UiTM and the National Arts Academy After winning the World Championship of Performing Arts in Los Angeles in 1999, she made two albums with EMI, ‘Ingin Bersamamu’ 1999 and ‘Syyh Syafinaz’, 2001.
Norleena Salim, singer, actor, comedian and show host, has won awards for Best Comedy Actress in Asian Television Awards for her roles in Under One Roof, and the Odd Squad on Singapore television. She is now based in Australia, where she continues to sing in live concerts and presents three daily programmes on music radio.
The Rozells is a duo formed by James Rozells and Kathleen Rodrigues, who represent Penang’s Eurasian music heritage. For years, they ran The Rozells Country Western and Oldies Pub, a favourite watering hole among both Penangites and tourists. Today, they are the foremost promoters of the Penang’s great composers such as Tan Sri-P. Ramlee, Jimmy Boyle and Ahmad Merican, the fathers of modern Malaysian music. www.rozells.com.my, www.penangmusic.com
Little Penang is organised by a group of Penang people who care about keeping Penang culturally vibrant. It aims to provide a regular market-place and platform for Penang-based talents in arts and crafts, design and music.
Be a part of Little Penang!
Little Penang is a non-profit project coordinated by Lestari Heritage Network with a grant from The Institute for Cultural Enterprise (ICE), New York.
With sponsorship from Tourism Penang, The Garage, Upper Penang Road Promotional Society, Boon Siew Sdn. Bhd., E O Hotel, The Learning Garden.